Fall is incomplete without colorful triple-layered candy corns. These are pyramid-shaped sweets that have the flavors of honey, vanilla, butter, and sugar. But what about the gluten status of candy corn? Will you get a gluten allergy if you eat it? Is candy corn gluten free?
Whether candy corn is gluten free or not depends on the brand. Some brands make absolutely gluten free candy corn, while others may add gluten into it. Therefore, the best way to find out candy corn’s gluten status is to check the product labeling.
If you are gluten sensitive, knowing the ingredient list of every product is mandatory, and the same is applicable for candy corn too. To ensure the candy corn you eat is gluten free, read till the end.
Table of Contents
- 1 Is Candy Corn Gluten Free?
- 2 What Is Candy Corn? How Is It Made?
- 3 How To Find Out If the Candy Corn You Picked Has Gluten Or Not?
- 4 Gluten Free Candy Corn Brands / List
- 5 Let’s Make Candy Corn At Home
- 6 Wrapping Up
- 7 Most Frequently Asked Questions About Candy Corn
Is Candy Corn Gluten Free?
There isn’t a yes/no answer if candy corn is gluten free or not. Many brands make this traditional Halloween candy, so adding gluten or not entirely depends on their recipe. There are specific gluten free brands where you can find no gluten candy corn; those will be safe for gluten sensitive people.
To see if the product you picked has gluten or not, you have to refer to the product packaging. If there are no wheat or barley related products, then the candy corn is safe for you to eat. But is that enough to make the product gluten free? Certainly not.
There are other conditions a product must maintain to make it safe for celiacs. One of the most important conditions is that one has to pass a gluten free test. The test ensures the product contains less than 20ppm gluten which is declared safe by the FDA.
Plus, companies should make sure it does not come in contact with any other gluten related product to avoid chances of cross-contamination. Therefore, preparing no gluten candy corn in special gluten free factories is a must.
Related Post:- Is Laffy Taffy Gluten Free?
What Is Candy Corn? How Is It Made?
Candy corn is a traditional holiday candy made in three colored sections. These have tricolor sections, usually orange, yellow, and white. You will find candy corns mainly during Halloween, and it’s associated with the symbol of harvest.
George Renninger, a Philadelphia candy maker, invented the candy corn in the 1880s. The recipe got so popular that Goelitz Confectionery Company, now known as Belly Candy company, bought it from George Renninger.
The candy is mainly made of sugar combined with a few other ingredients. Although there are many candy corn manufacturers, the company called Branch is the largest manufacturer of it.
Brach’s candy corn ingredients include sugar, corn syrup, salt, dextrose, confectioner’s glaze, sesame oil, gelatin, honey, artificial flavor, yellow 6, yellow five, and red 3. The recipes are roughly the same for most manufacturers since it’s a traditional candy with an age-old taste and flavor.
How To Find Out If the Candy Corn You Picked Has Gluten Or Not?
Finding out if your candy corn has gluten or not isn’t very tough. The first thing you’ve to do is check the product labeling and see the ingredients. Besides, if the product is certified gluten free, it will come with a gluten free tag on the front.
Another way to ensure the candy corn you picked is gluten free is by checking the company website. The website will release a declaration about the gluten status of the product when it adheres to all FDA conditions to be gluten free.
Gluten Free Candy Corn Brands / List
Gluten sensitive or celiacs now no longer have to refrain from tasting candy corn since there are so many brands with gluten free candy corns. Here are some of my top picks-
Jelly Belly candy corn is one of the best gluten free, dairy free, fat free candies, so celiacs should definitely try them out.
Happy Bites is another brand that makes gluten free candy corn. They have declared on their website that all their no ingredient in their list contains gluten.
Branch has released their new gluten free candy corn range, which is safe for gluten allergen people.
Let’s Make Candy Corn At Home
Making your own candy corn during Halloween has another level of excitement, so I thought, why not share a simple candy corn recipe with you. I learned this recipe from my grandmother, who’s been making it for years. This one tastes even better than store bought candy and gets ready in no time. So let’s check out-
- Half ounce nonfat dried milk
- 1 ¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- 2 ½ tbsp water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 drops of yellow and orange food color.
- In a food processor, mix confectioner’s sugar, salt, and dry milk. The mixture should be smooth and well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix corn syrup, granulated sugar, and water and cook these for about 4 minutes on medium heat.
- Now add butter into it.
- The mixture should reach a temperature of 230°F. You can check it using a candy thermometer. Once it reaches the desired temperature, take off from the heat.
- Now add the salt, sugar, and dry milk mixture into it. Add vanilla extracts as well and mix well using a wooden spatula.
- Pour the mixture into parchment paper and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Separate the mixture into three equal parts. Add yellow and orange food colors into two of them.
- Roll out the dough into long strands and cut them into pieces ½ inch thick and 22 inches long.
- Lay all the orange, yellow and white pieces side by side and press them together using a ruler.
- Now using a knife, cut them into individual pieces and let them dry for about an hour. Ensure the candies have a triangular shape to resemble the actual candy corn.
Candy corn may or may not be gluten free. The outcome will entirely depend upon the manufacturer; hence the right way to find gluten free candy corn is by smartly picking the product. Do check out the list of gluten free candy corns and pick the one you like.
Most Frequently Asked Questions About Candy Corn
Is candy corn dairy-free?
Yes, candy corn is dairy-free and is vegan friendly.
Is Brach’s candy corn gluten free?
Yes, Brach’s candy corn is certified gluten free.
Is candy corn safe for celiacs?
Candy corns, which are branded gluten free, are safe for celiacs.
Which brands have gluten free candy corn?
Some popular brands making gluten free candy corn are Jelly Belly, Happy Bites Candy Corn, Brach’s Candy Corn, etc.