You must have seen those colorfully wrapped long chewy candies called Laffy Taffy. These are made by the popular American brand Ferrara Candy, a subsidiary of Ferraro.
The growing gluten allergy among people has put every food item under question, and it’s applicable for Laffy Taffy as well. So what is the gluten status of Laffy Taffy? Is Laffy Taffy gluten free?
There are no gluten ingredients in Laffy Taffy, making the chewy candy gluten free. But you should note that it’s not made in a gluten free factory, meaning it may come in contact with gluten ingredients.
So what should celiacs do? Should they have Laffy Taffy or not? We will state all facts about Laffy Taffy and how it may contain gluten here in this guide. To know a complete truth, keep reading.
Table of Contents
- 1 Is Laffy Taffy Gluten Free?
- 2 Laffy Taffy: What Is It? How Is It Made?
- 3 Laffy Taffy Flavors
- 4 Is Laffy Taffy Vegan?
- 5 Candy Options For Gluten Sensitive People
- 6 Try This Homemade Laffy Taffy Recipe
- 7 Wrapping Up
- 8 Most Frequently Asked Questions About Laffy Taffy
Is Laffy Taffy Gluten Free?
The sweet chewy Laffy Taffy does not have any gluten. Its ingredients are entirely gluten free but are that all to make it safe for gluten allergen people? Sadly not. There are a few other crucial conditions all food items must adhere to be gluten free.
FDA has declared a few conditions for manufacturers to make their products gluten free which include-
- The product should have 20ppm or less gluten.
- It cannot have any wheat or barley product either as a direct ingredient or as flavorings.
- Manufacturers must make their products in a gluten free factory.
- Finally, it has to pass a gluten free test.
Although Laffy Taffy has no gluten, it does not comply with the other three conditions. Ferrara Candy does not declare Laffy Taffy as a tested gluten free candy on their website, meaning it has not undergone the test.
Picking a product without the gluten free label may prove fatal for people with high gluten sensitivity or celiac disease. The risk of coming in contact with gluten products is always there, so it’s not completely risk free.
Related:- Is Salt Water Taffy Gluten Free?
Laffy Taffy: What Is It? How Is It Made?
Laffy Taffy is a famous American candy with a chewy texture. These come in individually wrapped striped packaging and are available in multiple flavors. The candy first came into the market in the 1970s, and a company called Beach Candies used to make it.
Nestle started making Laffy Taffy in the 1980s, and now the Ferrara Candy Company, Owned by Ferrero, solely makes Laffy Taffy. Ever wondered why these colorful candies are called Laffy Taffy?
The interesting fact is each Laffy Taffy wrapper has a joke written with the intent of making everyone smile. Besides, the name laffy refers to being funny or hilarious.
So how is Laffy Taffy made? What are the ingredients in Laffy Taffy? Laffy Taffy is made using-
- Corn syrup
- Palm oil
- Hydrogenated cottonseed oil
- Malic acid
- Less than 2% mono and diglycerides
- Soy lecithin
- Artificial flavors
Here are the nutritional facts of 1 piece of Laffy Taffy candy
|Calories from fat||2.6|
|Vitamin A||0.2% of Daily Value (DA)|
|Vitamin C||0% DA|
Laffy Taffy Flavors
Laffy Taffy is available in so many delicious flavors to pick from. Here is the entire flavor list, so pick your favorite.
- Blue Raspberry
- Sour Apple
- Sparkle cherry
Is Laffy Taffy Vegan?
Not all Laffy Taffy candies are vegan since some of them contain eggs. Laffy Taffy minis and ropes are vegan since they have no animal products. These are made from corn syrup, palm oil, malic acid, salt, soy lecithin, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, less than 2% of mono and diglycerides, and artificial flavors.
But Laffy Taffy stretchy isn’t vegan because they add egg whites to the ingredient list.
Candy Options For Gluten Sensitive People
Here are some gluten free candy options which have been tested and labeled gluten free.
These are naturally made vegan and gluten free candies and healthier alternatives to most candies as well.
These sweet and tangy fruit slices are so yum that you won’t be able to stop eating them. These, too, are gluten free and vegan.
Another sweet and sour gluten free candy is this Fun Dip one. Packed with fresh fruit flavors, these will just melt in your mouth.
Gluten free, low calorie, and dairy free, Jelly Berry is another best alternative to Laffy Taffy.
Try This Homemade Laffy Taffy Recipe
You can prepare the tasty Laffy Taffy at your home too. Making these chewy candies is easy and isn’t very time consuming. My mother makes great Laffy Taffies, and here is the recipe she’s been following for ages.
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp softened butter
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 package black cherry Koolaid.
- Take a cookie sheet and generously butter it.
- Take a saucepan and add cornstarch and sugar. Still well.
- Now add the butter, corn syrup, water, and salt and keep stirring until butter is completely dissolved.
- On medium heat, keep cooking until the mixture reaches 250°F. Measure using a candy thermometer.
- Once it reaches the required temperature, remove it from heat immediately and add the vanilla extract.
- Give it another nice mix and transfer the mixture into a greased cookie sheet; let it cool for about 15 minutes.
- Once the mixture cools down to be able to touch with bare hands, start pulling the mixture until it becomes opaque.
- Make a long rope and cut it into small pieces using a buttered scissor.
- Wrap the candies using waxed paper, and your homemade Laffy taffies are ready.
Laffy Taffy does not have any gluten, but the product isn’t a tested one meaning the chances of cross-contamination still prevails. If you are highly gluten sensitive, you should want to consider twice before having Laffy Taffy.
But you can try out our homemade Laffy taffy recipe to enjoy almost the same taste as store-bought ones.
Most Frequently Asked Questions About Laffy Taffy
Is Laffy Taffy dairy-free?
Yes, all Laffy Taffy candies are dairy-free. In fact, a lot of them are vegan as well, except for the stretchy Laffy Taffies.
Are all Laffy Taffy gluten free?
Yes, all Laffy Taffy is gluten free since they don’t have any wheat or barley products.
What are the ingredients in Laffy Taffy?
The ingredients used in Laffy Taffy are corn syrup, palm oil, malic acid, salt, soy lecithin, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, less than 2% of mono, and diglycerides and artificial flavors.