Uncle Ben’s is a popular brand making pre-cooked flavored rice ready to eat on the go. Their flavored rice is microwavable, so all you need is 90 seconds to enjoy it with your favorite curries or have it as it is. But is Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice gluten free? Will I get a gluten allergy after consuming it?
Yes, a few Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice flavors are gluten free, but not all of them. These particular flavors do not have wheat or barley as additives or direct ingredients, so they are safe for gluten sensitive people to have.
Which Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice is gluten free? Are these made in a gluten free facility? Let’s find out the answers to all these questions.
Table of Contents
- 1 Is Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice Gluten Free?
- 2 Is Uncle Ben’s Rice Healthy?
- 3 Uncle Ben’s Nutritional Facts
- 4 Is Rice in General Gluten Free?
- 5 Amazing Uncle Ben’s Rice Recipes You Should Try
- 6 FAQs
- 7 Conclusion
Is Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice Gluten Free?
Uncle Ben’s is one of the United States’ popular rice brands known to make delicious parboiled rice flavors. But are all their products gluten free? No, Uncle Ben’s isn’t an entirely gluten free brand. If you’ve been diagnosed with celiac disease, you’ve to be picky with your food items, and that is applicable for Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice as well.
Only a few flavors of Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice are gluten free. As per the manufacturer’s declaration, Uncle Ben’s Instant Rice, Uncle Ben’s Original Converted Brand Rice, Uncle Ben’s Fast and Natural Whole Grain Instant Brown Rice, Uncle Ben’s Whole Grain Brown Rice, Uncle Ben’s Boil in Bag Rice, and Uncle Ben’s Ready Whole Grain Rice are gluten free.
Gluten sensitive people have to stay away from grains like wheat, barley, rye, semolina, etc., since these put you at risk of facing severe health issues. Picking one of the above-mentioned Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice won’t cause any side effects like- bloating, skin irritation, nausea, or other gluten allergies, so they are safe for consumption.
However, as Uncle Ben’s has other rice flavors that may have gluten, always read the ingredient label to avoid any confusion.
Related Post:- Is Uncle Ben’s Rice Gluten-Free?
Is Uncle Ben’s Rice Healthy?
Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice has been in the market for more than 70 years. What’s the secret to its everlasting popularity? Do people consider it as an instant healthy alternative to their regular rice?
Whether Uncle Ben’s Rice is healthy or not will vary based on the flavors you pick. Some of their products are high in nutrients like potassium, iron, vitamin B, etc., while others have high fat content.
For instance, their Whole Grain Brown Rice is a healthy pick that is loaded with potassium, iron, and vitamin B and has very low sodium, zero saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol. But their other varieties like the Cheddar Broccoli Rice or Fried Rice aren’t a very healthy pick.
Such flavors are very high in fat, calories, and sodium. A single serving of any of the Cheddar Broccoli Rice contains 700 mg of sodium, and having it with other food items increases your intake of sodium even more.
Uncle Ben’s Nutritional Facts
You get multiple Uncle Ben’s rice flavors to pick from. But before you pick any flavor, let’s have a closer look at the nutritional facts of some of the flavors to keep your daily calorie intake in check.
Nutritional facts this Southeast Asian flavored rice per 240g
Ben’s Original Basmati Rice: Nutritional facts per 240g
Ben’s Original Ready Rice Creamy Four Cheese: Nutritional facts per 240g
Ben’s Original Ready Rice Long Grain and Wild Rice: Nutritional facts per 240g
Is Rice in General Gluten Free?
Rice, in general, is gluten free because it’s not a gluten grain. As I have also stated above, gluten is only present in grains like wheat, barley, rye, etc., and it’s a protein substance that also acts as a binding agent.
All rice grains, be it white, brown, or black, are gluten free. There is a special variety of rice available called glutinous rice that too does not have any gluten in spite of how it is named. But there are chances of cross-contamination if rice and gluten grains like wheat or barley are manufactured in the same facility.
Amazing Uncle Ben’s Rice Recipes You Should Try
Let’s make some easy, tasty, and quick rice recipes using Uncle Ben’s Rice. Here are my top favorites.
1. Chicken Rice Bowls
This quick and easy dinner recipe is super satisfying, wholesome, and healthy. Here is the ingredient list-
- 1 ½ cup cooked Uncle Ben’s Flavor Infusion Rice (pick your favorite flavor)
- 2 cups of cooked shredded chicken.
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 15 oz can corn
- ⅔ cups greens onions (chopped)
- 15 oz can black beans
- 1 sliced avocado
- 4 cups shredded Romaine Hearts
- ½ cup cilantro (chopped)
- ¾ cup Pico De Gallo
- Juice of one lime
- Tortilla Stripes (for toppings)
- Cook Uncle Ben’s rice as per the packet directions.
- Now heat up the canned ingredients (beans, black beans, corn) and chicken.
- Take a bowl and start layering the ingredients.
- At the bottom, place the shredded chicken, next add rice, and add cheese. Top with black beans, corn and onions, avocado, Pica De Gallo, cilantro, and tortilla strips.
- Pour the lemon juice at last and enjoy!
2. Chicken and Burrito Recipe
Here are the ingredients of this delicious rice and burrito recipe-
- Uncle Ben’s Long Grain and Wild Rice.
- 2 ½ cups chopped cooked chicken
- 5 tortillas
- ¼ cups chopped green onions
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 can black beans
- ½ cup bell peppers (sliced)
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 ¼ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp water
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼ chopped tomato (optional)
- First, cook the rice as per package directions.
- Take a pan on medium heat and heat cumin powder, oregano, chili powder, and garlic for a few seconds.
- Add bell pepper, cooked chicken, salt, and water and cook until the bell peppers get slightly tender; then add the black beans.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add cheese. Combine all ingredients well.
- Warm the tortillas. Now add rice, chicken mix, and chopped tomatoes.
- Start rolling the tortillas from one side, and your chicken rice burrito is ready to eat.
Is all Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice gluten free?
No, all Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice is not gluten free. While buying any, make sure to check the ingredient label to find out which ones are gluten free.
Are all rice gluten free?
Yes, rice isn’t a gluten grain; hence all rice varieties like white, brown, or black rice are naturally gluten free.
Is Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice safe for celiacs?
Only a few specific flavors which the company labels gluten free are safe for celiacs.
Some of Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice flavors are gluten free and are safe for gluten sensitive people to consume. However, always check the product label to ensure the flavor you pick has no barley or wheat!